Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Carol S Dweck
|ISBN:||1400062756 9781400062751 9780345472328 0345472322|
|Description:||x, 276 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||1. The mindsets : Why do people differ? ; What does all this mean for you? The two mindsets ; A view from the two mindsets ; So, what's new? ; Self-insight: who has accurate views of their assets and limitations? ; What's in store --
2. Inside the mindsets : Is success about learning, or proving you're smart? ; Mindsets change the meaning of failure ; Mindsets change the meaning of effort ; Questions and answers --
3. The truth about ability and accomplishment : Mindset and school achievement ; Is artistic ability a gift? ; The danger of praise and positive labels ; Negative labels and how they work --
4. Sports: the mindset of a champion : The idea of the natural ; "Character" ; What is success? ; What is failure? ; Taking charge of success ; What does it mean to be a star? ; Hearing the mindsets --
5. Business: mindset and leadership : Enron and the talent mindset ; Organizations that grow ; A study of mindset and management decisions ; Leadership and the fixed mindset ; Fixed-mindset leaders in action ; Growth-mindset leaders in action ; A study of group processes ; Groupthink versus we think ; The praised generation hits the workforce ; Are negotiators born or made? ; Corporate training: are managers born or made? ; Are leaders born or made? --
6. Relationships: mindsets in love (or not) : Relationships are different ; Mindsets falling in love ; The partner as enemy ; Competition: who's the greatest? ; Developing in relationships ; Friendship ; Shyness ; Bullies and victims: revenge revisited --
7. Parents, teachers, and coaches: where do mindsets come from? : Parents (and teachers): messages about success and failure ; Teachers (and parents): what makes a great teacher (or parent)? ; Coaches: winning through mindset ; Our legacy --
8. Changing mindsets : The nature of change ; The mindset lectures ; A mindset workshop ; Brainology ; More about change ; Taking the first step ; People who don't want to change ; Changing your child's mindset ; Mindset and willpower ; Maintaining change ; The road ahead --
|Responsibility:||Carol S. Dweck.|
In the course of over twenty years of research, leading motivation and personality psychology expert Carol Dweck has discovered that our mindset is not a minor personality quirk, it actually creates our whole mental world, and explains how we become optimistic or pessimistic. Mindsets shape goals, attitudes toward work and relationships, and how we raise our kids, ultimately predicting whether or not we will fulfill our potential. Dweck has found that people have of two basic mindsets: fixed, or growth. Those with fixed mindsets believe that their talents and abilities are set in stone and are unchangeable, and that they must prove themselves over and over, trying to look smart and talented at all costs. Those with a growth mindset, however, know that talents can be developed and that great abilities are built over time. This is the path of opportunity--and success. Dweck reveals how creative geniuses in all fields--music, literature, science, sports, business-- apply the growth mindset to achieve results. Perhaps even more important, she shows us how we can change our mindset at any stage of life to achieve true success and fulfillment. She looks across a broad range of applications to help parents, teachers, coaches, and executives see how they can promote a growth mindset.
- Belief and doubt.
- Success -- Psychological aspects.
- Set (Psychology)